Saturday 26 March 2016

Samoan Siva Research


This semester I really want to look into my identity and my culture as a Samoan. I really enjoy my culture and one thing I've always wanted to look into was the Samoan Siva. The Samoan Siva is a traditional Samoan dance it requires the dancer to retain grace in the movement of her arms and hands which are so subtle but at a delicate manner. In earlier times, high chiefs or Matais performed this special dance but modern day it is performed by the Taupou which is a ceremonial hostess that is selected by a high chief of a Samoan village from the young girls in his household elevated to a high rank. I want to look into the movements and the beauty and grace that the young girls carry with them. They do not just carry that but also their family and heritage in this dance with them. Samoans are so proud of who they are and I've fallen in love with that. Researching about this project may help me come closer to my roots.

I really like the way the Taupou moves and I want to learn about the dance and costume everything that will go into this dance. I want to show the beauty and grace through some of the photography that I will be doing with Peter. So we may look into different types of lighting for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment